Minimum Kit requirements
We don’t feel it is necessary for all runners to bring their packs to event registration for kit checks. However we do feel for safety reasons it is vital for kit checks to take place so random kit checks will take place at the start, overnight camp and at the finish. Random checks will include everyone and not merely the high ranking finishers. Before you arrive at the event you will be required to sign an online Kit Check and Disclaimer form which will be available for signature via Si Entries approximately two weeks before the event.
Each individual and team is responsible for being properly equipped for two days of unsupported fell running in exposed terrain in early June in Scotland.
This list below should be seen as a minimum requirement only. Check the weather forecast, your previous experience and use sound judgement for the kit you should be wearing and carrying. The organisers reserve the right to disqualify any competitors who, in their opinion, do not have the necessary kit to survive in an emergency situation. Cotton clothing is not suitable. Spare warm kit and a sleeping bag must be in a dry bag.
Each individual competitor must wear or carry, as a minimum the following at all times:
Footwear suitable for use in the mountains. Fell running/Trail shoes or boots with a minimum tread depth of 4mm.
- Sleeping bag with insulation (liner only insufficient)
- Survival bag (NOT a Space Blanket)
- Waterproof jacket with hood and waterproof overtrousers (taped seams; NOT just a windproof)
- Full length trousers/tights/leggings (not cotton)
- T-shirt/base layer (not cotton)
- Long sleeved mid-layer (not cotton)
- Hat & gloves
- Torch (suitable for emergency night navigation)
- Compass & whistle
- Watch or other means of timekeeping
- Waterproof pen/pencil (to mark your course onto potentially wet plastic)
- Map provided by us at the start
- SPORTident dibber attached to your wrist. This must not be removed during the event!
- Fully charged mobile phone for safety (only to be used in emergencies)
- Emergency rations (should still have at the finish)
Each team must carry the following items at all times:
- Tent with sewn in groundsheet, poles and pegs (includes hooped bivi with these characteristics) large enough to accommodate both runners of a team
- Stove & fuel, matches/lighter – with emergency fuel remaining at the end of Day 2 sufficient to boil 500ml of water
- Food for 2 days for 2 people
- First aid kit to include as a minimum: 2 x wound dressings (one must be large), triangular bandage and safety pins, roller bandage and roll of tape
The equipment listed above is the minimum you are required to carry. In bad weather you should consider carrying additional items of clothing. If you are in any doubt as to what might be acceptable within these rules either take additional items or ask us before you start.
Just to re-iterate: random kit checks will be made at the event and we reserve the right to disqualify any competitors who, in our opinion, do not have the necessary kit to survive an emergency situation out on the hills.
Recommended Personal/Team Equipment
Whilst these items are not mandatory they do come recommended!
- Blister treatment
- Sunscreen and/or midge repellent (depending on the weather!)
- Plastic bags to keep your feet dry at the overnight camp
- Karrimat, Therm-a-rest or equivalent
- Device to store water in at the camp site
- Cooking and eating utensils
- Altimeter (see rules)
- Money (in case you get stranded miles from the Event Centre)
In the interest of reducing plastic usage, we will not be providing plastic cups for hot drinks at the finish and are asking you to bring your own cup. Also, if you are happy to enjoy your finishers meal in your own bowl this will go further to reducing waste.
Please note that there are no rubbish bins or disposal facilities at the overnight camp! The race is self-sufficient so you need to carry any rubbish with you back to the finish on Sunday. No rubbish at kit check? We will be asking why!
Do NOT rely on it, but in case you forget to bring something to the event there will be a Kong Running shop at the event centre. If you want to pre-order something to collect at the event please contact Kong directly using this link: https://www.kongrunning.com/